Monday, April 12, 2010

my daily chase

the sun rose
my hope began the day
with doubt spitting in his face
across the sky, the sun i chase

and true to form
i run and grasp
only to wildly miss
a shadow only i kiss

now it's dark and i'm tired
wondering where i've been
lost in my own treasure map
i never reach my final lap

the sun set
was it worth it?
the sun seemed to think so
he never dimmed his glow

in the chase after the sun
i only ever lusted after my own shadow
because i put the sun behind me
a now rather obvious fallacy

but the sun never returns
no, he only ever rises
with the sun ever before me
my face bronzes in his glory

(but when the sun does one day return
rise again, it never will
shadows will be that former story
we will all burn from within the sun's glory)

1 comment:

  1. When I first saw the title of this lovely poem, I read it as "My Daily Cheese," and I was quite excited for some kind of parody on "daily bread."

    ReplyDelete

Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort